Flashcards in Ectoparasites/Cytology Deck (263)
What are the two groups Ectoparasites are divided into?
acarina: ticks, mites
insecta: fleas, grubs, lice
What life cycle involves incomplete metamorphosis?
Mites normally eat ____ debris but some species puncture the skin to suck ______
skin, lymph fluid
What are three mites?
1) Demodex canis
2) Sarcoptes scabiei
3) Otodectes cynotis
Many insect parasites spend little time on the host...which insects are these? Which insect spends their entire life cycle on the host?
flies, mosquitoes, fleas--- in contrast lice
What are the two types of lice?
sucking and biting louse
What louse does this describe? Mouthparts adapted for puncturing the skin and sucking blood
What louse does this describe? Feeds on the skin with mouth parts adapted for chewing
How do you identify a mite?
most common method skin scraping
What is the most scalpel blade used for skin scraping?
#10 scalpel blade
How do you do a skin scraping?
1) mineral oil and a slide
2) before scraping dip blade in mineral oil
3) hold blade at 45 degree angle
4) you can clip area before scraping for better visualization or to remove hair that interferes
Depth of scrape depends on _____ and suspected _____.
What mites collect loose scale and crusts, so clippings not necessary?
surface dwelling mites
Intact specimen should be collected in a sealed container containing 10% ___ or ethyl alcohol.
1) name of chewing lice which is smaller than sucking lice
2) They have a large rounded head that is the color ___
3) Characteristically the head of the chewing louse is ___ than the widest portion of the thorax
1) Mallophaga (chewing)
1) name of sucking lice?
2) larger then ____ lice
3) ___ to gray-dependent on amount of blood ingested from host
4) head is ___ than the widest part of the thorax
5) ____ like claws
1) Anoplura (sucking)
What grub is a Cuterebra?
Larval stages of are often found in swollen, cyst like subcutaneous sites, with a fistula communicating to the outside environment where Larvae breathes through this pore
Most economically important insect to the veterinarian?
1) extremely ___ scaling crusting and excoriation
2) ___, lateral elbows and ventral abdomen most common sites
3) spread by?
3) direct contact
T/F Repeated scrapings may be necessary to detect mites for Sarcoptes scabiei.
1) ____ scabies mite
2) found mainly on the ears, back of neck, face, feet, extreme cases ___ body
3) Lesions very “____”
4) rare or common?
5) Easier to find in cats than the sarcoptic mite in ____
1) __ mites
2) common cause of ________ in dogs and cats
3) Clinical signs: _______, scratching
1) ear mites
2) otitis externa
3) shaking head
Demodex reside in ____ and sebaceous glands of people and most domestic animals
Clinical disease caused by an increase in the number is mites is called?
T/F Sarcoptes scabi is known as the “Eight legged alligator”
What are the four stages of Demodex?
3) nymph (proto and deutonymph)
Cheyletiella (mite) species:
1) ____ dwelling (non burrowing)
2) visible to ________
3) enormous ____ like mouth parts
4) “____ “ structures on the legs
5) body shape: a ____, bell pepper, acorn
2) the naked eye, large
What is known as walking dandruff?