Flashcards in Database Normalization Deck (11)
* Each table cell should contain a single value
* Each record needs to be unique
* Be in 1NF
* All the non-key columns are dependent on the table's primary key
* Be in 2NF
* Has no transitive functional dependencies
What is a transitive functional dependency?
When a change to a non-key column might cause another non-key column change
What does BCNF stand for?
Bryce-Codd Normal Form
* Be in 3NF
* Non-Key data depend on the key[s] and nothing but the keys
* Be in BCNF
* Not contain more than 1 multi valued dependency
IE - Course depends on Professor and Book
also known as Project-Join NF
* Be in 4NF
* every non-trivial join dependency in that table is implied by the candidate keys
* Be in 5NF
* no nontrivial join dependencies at all
What are some ways to Denormalize a database?