Removal & treatment of vitims from natural elements, strucutal collapse and elevation differences.
Removal & Treatment of victims who are trapped by some type or man-made machinery & equipment
Two objectives of search
- Find vivtims ( searching for life)
- Obtaining information about the extent of the fire.
Types of Search
- Primary- rapid but thorough performed before or during fire suppression
- Buddy system, 2 or more, forcible entry tools, search on the fire floor close to the fire and work away.
- Secondary- After fire is under control, conducted by personnel other that the ones who did primary, very thorough
Multistory Building search
(Highest Priority) Most critical area is Fire floor, Floor directly above fire and top
- then intervening floors
- close doors to prevent fire spread
Door Marking system
Chaulk, Crayon, Tape, Door markers, Latch straps over door knob.
/ means being searched, X means search completed
Emergency moves, fire or danger of fire in immediate area, explosives or other hazards are involved, impossible to protect accident scence, impossible to gain access to other victims who need immediate care, Victim in cardiac arrest
Lifting improperly is one of the most common causes of injury to rescures
Types of victim removal
-Cradle in arm cary- effective for carrying children or very small adults
- Seat lift carry
- Two or three person lift carry
- Immobilizing a victim who is suspected of having a spinal injury requires 4 rescuers
Set up transformer that converts a cehicles 12 or 24 volt DC current into 110 or 220 volt AC current.
When small power is needed
- Advantages, fuel efficency, low or nonexistent noise
- Disadvantages , limited power supply, limited mmobility from vehicle
Most common power source used (portable or Vechicle mounted)
PTO,Hydraulic, Propane, Gas or Diesel
110 or 220 volts
300 to 1000 watts
500 to 1500 watts
Maintaining power plants & Lighting equipment
Inspect & run once a week, Check Gas & Oil after each use,
wear gloves with quartz bulbs " hand oil can cause bulbs to explode"
Inspect spark plug, wires and carb weekly, change gas every 3 weeks
Four basic types of powered hydrauulic tools
- Combination spreader/shears
- Extension rams
Pushing or Pulling
-upto 22,000 psi of force at tip
- spread as much as 32"
-upto 30,000 psi of cutting force
- opening approximately 7"
Pushing force about 15,000 psi with closing force about half that
- Extend from 36" closed to nearly 63"
Manual Hyraulic tools
Porta Power & Hydraulic Jack
Porta Power can operate in tight spaces (Time Consuming)
Hydraulic Jack (Lifts upto 20 tons)
Non Hydraulic Jacks
"Considered hand tools"
Screw Jack- Bar screw Jack, Trench screw jacks
Rachet jacks " Highlift" Lease stable
Stailize objects, wedges for shims, solid straight, Free of flaws like knots and splits
2X4 & 4x4 (16"-18")
Ends may be painted for easy ID or length
Chisels also called pneumatic hammers or impact hamer 100 to 150 psi
Tripod, Winches, Come alongs (1-10tons), Chains, Air bags & Block & Tackel
3 Common Winches
Electric, Hydraulic, PTO
Only allow steel chain of the correct size
Proof Coil chain also called common or hardware chain is not suitable
Airbags and Types
Never stack more then 2 high or on metal hotter than 220 degrees
- High Pressure 1" high 6"X6" to 36"x36" upto 20"
- Low and Medium pressure bags are considerably larger lifts upto 6'
Block and Tackle
Block is a wooden or metal frame with 1 or more pulleys called sheaves
Tackle is the assembly of ropes & blocks through which the line passes
Gaining access to vitims
Door, window, Compromising the body of vehicle
SRS & SIPS
Supplemental Restraint System
Side Impact Protection Systems
-Airbags operate electrically or mechanically operate at 200mph
Means that wounds and fractures have been dressed and immobilized