Flashcards in Chapter 6: Ions - Charged Particles in Matter Deck (11)
what is ionization?
ionization is the process of forming ions
- the reaction can go in either direction
What happens during the ionization of water?
- a hydrogen breaks away and becomes a positively charged hydrogen ion that combines with water to form a hydronium ion
- the hydrogen ion remaining in the OH group shares an electron with an oxygen forming a negatively charged hydroxide ion
What are acids?
acids produce hydrogen and hydronium ions in water-based solutions and have a positive charge
What are bases?
bases produce hydroxide ions in water based solutions and have a negative charge
What are neutral substances?
acids and bases form a compound with ionic bonds, called Salts
- neutral substances have a balance of positive and negative substances
How do bases feel?
bases feel slippery
How do bases taste?
bases have a bitter taste
what do acids taste like?
acids have a sour taste
What are organic dyes?
are colour pigments that change colour with the presence of acids or bases
-bases tun litmus paper blue and acids turn it red
Like organic dyes acids and bases do what?
acids and bases affect fruits and vegetables like organic dyes
- green vegetables turn brighter in when a base is added during cooking