Flashcards in Chapter 13 - Education And Religion PowerPoint Deck (9)
-Teach dominant values
- Social integration
- Maintain inequality
-how interpersonal interactions shapes school experiences
- how school teach gender.
- Unified system of beliefs and practices
- Separation of sacred and profane.
- Overlap of science and religion
- Cosmology - an inherent world view
- How symbols and rituals are used and what they mean.
Answer questions, provide social solidarity, guidelines.
- Marx "the opiate of the masses"
- Supports the status quo, including gender roles
- Leads directly to feminist perspective
Religous trends in U.S.
Traditional moderate protest churches declining in membership while more funadmentalist denominations are growing