Flashcards in Booklet 4 Deck (13)
By Fleming discovered in 19th century.
- discovered by accident
How penicillin was publicised
- by Flory and chain as they added to his work and made it more public.
- however the government really did it was they helped it be mass produced which helped in WW1 and WW2.
Overuse of penicillin leads to what?
Bacteria mutating and natural selection makes sure that some types of bacteria are antibiotic resistant.
Things changed by WW1
- shell shock treatment, looked more into mental health
- X-rays, improved public health and surgery.
- plastic surgery, when WW1 effected soldiers came home.
- blood transfusions could now be carried pit with more knowledge about the body.
Sterile environment is?
A surgical environment where there is little to no bacteria.
Early 20th century reforms
Liberal social reforms.
The liberal social reforms X1
- free school meals.
- medical checks to kids in schools,
- more child protection laws
- sick pay to workers
The liberal social reforms X2
- minimum wage introduced to tempt more people into work.
- more help for unemployed to find jobs.
- more people received pensions.
- more money given to retired poverty.
Public health summary in 1930’s after liberal social reforms.
- doctors were more widely used.
- anaesthetic and antiseptics used.
- germ theory widely accepted.
- diagnosed people much easier.
- children get taught hygiene and more from a young age.
- had the idea of the welfare state.
- made the Beveridge report.
- said that the government should take care of society ‘from the cradle to the grave’
- sold 100,000 reports in first month.
- Beveridges idea of society.
- children, adults, family life and elderly all protected.
- Labour Party.
- 1945 won election and put HNS into place.
- NHS was controversial as its expensive and they get no money back.