What are satisfiers of management for long-term care facilities?
- Comprehensive care in interprofessional teams
- Mentoring within and among disciplines
- Focus on fxn and QOL
- Focus on pt and family/caregiver ed
- Carry out POC from beginning to end w/autonomy
What are management challenges for long-term care facilities?
- Demanding paperwork and documentation
- Spurts of activity and downtime bc of scheduling challenges
- High productivity demands that conflict w/compliance and reimbursement requirements
- Depending on CNA's for carryover
- Pt-behavior controls
- High staff turnover
What constitutes outpatient PT?
- PT-owned practices
- Physician-owned practices
- Hospital Owned
What are the advantages and disadvantages of PT solo practice?
- Autonomy in clinical and business decisions
- Difficult to negotiate contracts
- Establishing broad referral base is tough
What are the advantages and disadvantages of PT Practice Networks?
- Support for contract negotiations and billing
- Preserves independence of private practice
- Flat fee paid to network increases cost of services
What are the advantages and disadvantages of hospital/healthcare system based management?
- Opportunities for upward mobility
- Strong continuity of care
- Great facilities and equipment
- Reimbursement is less of a threat
- Slow to act
- Compromised autonomy
What are the advantages and disadvantages of physician-owned PT practice management?
- Close working relationship w/physician
- Opportunity for orthopedic specialization
- High caseload/productivity demands
- Compromised autonomy may lead to ethical and financial stress
What are the advantages and disadvantages of corporate-owned PT management?
- Upward career mobility
- Centralized resources for marketing, devo, and recruitment
- Potential to coast rather than focus on quality
- High productivity demands
- Stockholders are also stakeholders
What are the advantages and disadvantages of management in school-based PT?
- Collaboration w/other related services and teachers
- Long-term relationship w/child and family
- Not considered to be part of the school (it's often a contracted service)
True or False: Interdisciplinary related services are not part of the health care system?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of home care organization management?
- Care is 1:1
- Pt and their family are usually very motivated
- Provide comprehensive care w/a team
- Opportunity to be creative and do a lot w/very little
- Very fxn-oriented
- Travel break in btwn pt's
- Difficult to schedule appointments
- High productivity levels are hard to maintain
- Isolation from the rest of the team
- Hard to insure good outcomes
- Travel in bad weather
- Some homes/neighborhoods are not great
What are the advantages and disadvantages of acute care management?
- Variety of pt's
- Independence in determining plan of work
- Opportunities to interact w/other disciplines on the cutting edge
- Opportunities to make important pt-care decisions
- Less contact w/other pt's
- Fast-paced and unpredictable
- Little opportunity to establish relationships w/pt's
- Pt's are very ill and can't participate much
What are the advantages and disadvantages of rehab hospital management?
- Central tx area so there's lots of interaction w/other PT's
- Establish long-term relationships w/pt's
- Devo an area of specialization
- Practice becomes too restricted
- There's little interaction w/referring HCP's