Flashcards in 4 Deck (41)
Two different types of waves
The oscillations are perpendicular. To direction of energy transfer.
Oscillations parallel in the direction of energy transfer.
Maximum displacement for equilibrium.
Wave length =
Crest to crest distance.
Waves per second
Time it takes for one wave. = 1 / Frequency.
Wavelengths in light are
Wave speed =
WS = Frequency x wavelength.
An example of longitudinal wave
An example of transverse waves:
A change of speed of the light ray in which changes its direction.
Going into a higher density medium
The light slows down and goes towards the normal.
Going out of a high density medium and into a lower one.
Light speeds up and moves away from the normals
Perpendicular to the surface the light is going through.
If an object is a certain colour (green)
Then it can only be see as green when the colour of the light shining on it has green in it.
Transfer energy but without matter.
How the ear works:
In three sections:
- outer ear
- middle ear
And inner ear.
- the pinna - the flesh of the ear which gets the sound waves into the ear cannel.
- ear canal - carries the sound to the ear drum and middle ear.
- its filled with air, with the ossicles.
- the sound passes through here into the inner ear.
- also, contains the Eustachian tube connecting to your throat and nose, this is ventilating for the ear.
Contains the cochlea and the semi circular cannel.
- in the inner ear.
- It has two chambers that are filled with liquid, with the ORGAN OF CORTI, changing the sound into electrical impulses for the brain.
- It has thousands of hairs and auditory nerves send signals to the brain.
- highest pitch at the top of the spiral picked by by hairs, lowest at the lowest.
The semi circular cannel
- in the inner ear.
- part of the balance system not for hearing.
- made of liquid and hair cells.
- send electrical impulses to the brain to see what direction we are in.
Human hearing span:
20hz - 20,000hz
- anything above is ultrasound.
- anything below is infrasound. (I think)(ultrasound is more important.)
Above 20,000hz we cant hear it.
Carries lots of energy.
Use it for imaging. Medical and distance. E.G sea bed
Inner core of earth.
- very very hot
- pressure is huge.
- hot not as hot.
- still hot.