Flashcards in 2.1a - Common Network Ports Deck (29)
What is FTP?
File Transfer Protocol
Sends and receives files between systems
What are the FTP (File Transfer Protocol) tcp/ ports (active and control modes)?
tcp/20 (active mode data), tcp/21 (control)
•Transfers files between systems
What is SSH?
Encrypted console access
Encrypted communication link
• Looks and acts the same as Telnet
What is the SSH TCP Port?
What is Telnet?
Insecure console access
What is the Telnet TCP port?
What is SMTP
Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
•Transfer email between mail servers
• Used to send mail from a device to a mail server
• Commonly configured on mobile devices
and email clients
What is the SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) TCP port?
What is DNS?
Domain Name System
•Convert domain names to IP addresses
What is the UDP port for the DNS?
What is HTTP and HTTPS?
HTTP - Web server communica
HTTPS - Web server communicaCon with encrypCon
What is the POP3 tcp port?
What is the IMAP4 tcp port?
What is RDP and it's key attributes?
Remote Desktop Protocol
• Share a desktop from a remote location
• Remote Desktop Services on many Windows versions
• Can connect to an entire desktop or just an application
• Clients for Windows, macOS, Linux, Unix,
iPhone, Android, and others
What is the RDP (remote desktop protocol) tcp port?
What is SMB and what are it's key attributes?
Server Message Block
Protocol used by Microsoft Windows
• File sharing, printer sharing
• Also called CIFS (Common Internet File System)
What is SMB's tcp port?
What is AFP and it's key attributes?
Apple Filing Protocol
• File services in macOS
• File management
• Copy, move, delete files
• Works with SLP (Service Location Protocol)
• Populates the list of available devices
What are AFP's (Apple Filing Protocol) key ports?
File services in macOS - tcp/548
Works with SLP (Service Location Protocol)
What is DHCP and it's key attributes?
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
• Automated configuration of IP address, subnet mask
and other options
• Requires a DHCP server
• Server, appliance, integrated into a SOHO router, etc.
• Dynamic / pooled
• IP addresses are assigned in real-time from a pool
• Each system is given a lease and must renew
at set intervals
• DHCP reservation
• Addresses are assigned by MAC address in the DHCP server
• Quickly manage addresses from one location
What are the key port used by DHCP?
What is LDAP and it's key attributes?
• Store and retrieve information in a network directory
• Commonly used in Microsoft Active Directory
What is the LDAP tcp port?
What is SNMP and what are it's key attributes?
Simple Network Management Protocol
• Gather statistics from network devices
SNMP v3 – A secure standard
• Message integrity
• Authentication, encryption
What are SNMP's ports for Queries and Traps?
What is HTTP's tcp port?
What is HTTPS tcp port?
What are NetBIOS's three variation's ports?
• udp/137 - NetBIOS name services (nbname)
• udp/138 - NetBIOS datagram service (nbdatagram)
• tcp/139 - NetBIOS session service (nbsession)